Friday, October 05, 2007

Quote

This is a quote I'm thinking about today.

Too many people are thinking of security instead of opportunity. They seem more afraid of life than death.
- James F. Byrnes


Um... I guilty. Especially in the: "I want my baby to be safe" kind of thing. How do you balance security and safety with learning and pain? I know I can't prevent the pain, but can we just tone it down a bit?

What do you think? Are you settling for security instead of opportunity? Are you more fearful of the living?
I'm reminded of my mom's favorite movie- Auntie Mame (the good one with Rosalind Russell- NOT Lucille Ball)
She said "Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!"

2 comments:

The Uptons said...

Love the thoughts...and please note on our blog that you have been added as a link! --the Uptons

Anonymous said...

I think I am a security person by nature (aren't we all.) Lately I have been trying to choose the opportunity path. So far, the pain has only strengthened me and has been a true blessing. I have come to see all troubled times as secret blessings from God. The more painful, the harder the nudge had to be to get me to listen. I look back and love those times just like I love the good times because I know that without them, I would be somewhere else, and miserable.