Thursday, October 23, 2008

Sam's trip

So I went to Sam's the other day to get some good bargains and to try to find some things that John could cook that I would not have to give him a lot of directions on how to do it. That's right- John has been taking over the cooking this past week. John is great at following directions to recipes, but I just have not been up to meal planning at all. Bless his heart.
I have been given the special gift of pregnancy nose. I usually have a good sense of smell any way, but man, during pregnancy- I can smell BO from across the state. So it's usually best if I avoid the kitchen.
(Any one else have pregnancy nose?)
OK back to Sam's: So Gianna and I were cruising up and down the frozen food isle. It seems where the most prepackaged food is, and all I wanted were those frozen burritos that we used to get as kids. Nothing fancy, just something that I felt would not cause me to gag and have more dates with the porcelain king. But alas, No BURRITOS to be found. What they had were these fancy ones that were chipotle and spice. Um no thanks. Stomach said, NO! So off we went to find something else.
I looked at the pot pies, since that is a great comfort food to me. My mom made turkey pot pies after every Thanksgiving. So I look at the package and almost turned into a pillar of salt because the salt content was 1100 mg of salt per serving. That was OVER 65% of your daily intake. Back into the freezer they went. I kept up my burrito search, but no luck. I settled for a gi-normas bag of tortellini and some frozen stuffed chicken breasts.
I also got a large tube of ground beef and some crackers. John laughed at the meat tube- it is 15 lbs! But hey, I thought I might like a hamburger. Now he just has to make it. Any one have a recipe?

8 comments:

The Andoes said...

I have a really good meatloaf recipe. It takes like ten minutes to throw together, and I am sure you probably have all stuff!! Let me know if your interested! And yes I could smell like crazy too!

Sharen Leigh said...

not so much a great recipe, but a cool trick...

my MIL taught me to brown and season ground beef so i took it and ran with it. i brown it with lots of onions and garlic (not so great for your sense of smell, but those are pretty much staples for me), Italian seasoning and salt and pepper. then i package it in 1 or 1 1/2 lb. Ziploc containers and freeze it.

it takes about 5 minutes (and no mess!) to defrost it in the microwave and makes quick tacos, spaghetti, nachos, Hamburger Helper, etc.

good luck, chef john!!!

H Noble said...

I do that with a big package of HB meat too. Cook it all and then package separately to throw in spaghetti, soft tacos, spice up more for chili, pile-on...

Oh, I had pregnancy nose too. Justin is always amazed at my smell and hearing anyway, but during pregnancy I was a freak!

Hope you are feeling better soon!

Sarah said...

Oh, I had pregnancy nose too...and many visits with the porcelain king a day! Paul became a good cook or heater-upper that's for sure. I disslike that period of love/hate relationship with food. I hope your preggie sickness subsides very quickly - you are more than half way to the 2nd trimester, aren't you?

The Uptons said...

Those burritos you mention are the Patio burritos and you can find them at the Dollar General store if you can beat the employees who work there and apparently stalk the truck when it arrives. I know...that is what my wife lived on for a while in both of her pregnancies--it was all she could stomach (don't even ask). As for having pregnancy nose, how did you feel when you typed the phrase "meat tube"? I almost gagged just hearing it...and I'm a guy (and obviously not pregnant)! --Matt

Leslie said...

When I was sick this last time with Joey, one of my fave's for Kyle to make was hamburger meat with brown gravy. It was easy and for some reason, it didn't make me heave right away. And I heaved a LOT. 8-10x a day for 5 months :-(

Brown 1lb meat with onions and garlic powder. Salt and pepper to taste.

Mix(in the same pan as meat) 1 package pioneer brown gravy mix according to instructions.

Spoon meat and gravy over a bed of steamed white rice.

Its warm and filling. And easy on the stomach. Kids like it and it tastes even better the next day!

Mindy said...

I had pregnancy nose so bad that I couldnt even step foot in the grocery store. I also swore up and down there was something rotten in the pantry and I was bound and determined to find it. I cant imagine pregnancy nose now because now there are diapers to contend with:) I hope your funk passes soon and you feel good again soon!

Allison said...

How did you fit a 15lb tube of meat in your frigde? Even the 5lb ones are big!