Thursday, November 12, 2009

Right HERE Momma!

Gianna likes to dip things. Pretty typical of most toddlers that I know. I don't have a problem with it most days.
Dipping = eating
Mostly.
But a "fun" new "discussion" we've been having is PLACEMENT of the said dip. Amount does not seem to be and issue (yet). Just where it is placed is a battle. Who knew that placing something right where it was pointed to go in the spot would cause wails and gnashing of teeth? Not me. Did you know that ketchup runs when put on the side of a plate? And thus can cause a particular two year old I know to loose her Christian witness? (Well, not really hers, but mine to her!) Did you know that a microscopic millimeter makes a difference?
I didn't before but I do now.

Just a new trench in the warfare we call parenting. But this particular battle I'm ok with loosing a few inches. Because if the spot I see isn't the spot she sees, and tears result- I just take a deep breath and remind myself that this is her way of having order in a large and unpredictable world. And that what is important to her does not mean it is less important because it is not important to me.

So I smile and try to teach problem solving. "Move it with your fork to where you want it." And smile again.


Even if I'm gritting my teeth and white knuckling the bottle of ketchup.

3 comments:

Laura said...

haha, this cracks me up!

Promise 19 said...

Hang in there only 50 more years to go! I forgot to mention I really like your hair cut in the shot from the zoo, very pretty.

H Noble said...

Oh, we don't like this battle either. And at a fast food place with the miniature paper ketchup cups, Eli insists on setting his on whatever window sill he is closest too and when he is tired of it then takes mine as well. I've also lost all rights to my cup at said places and must start ordering him his own drink. And I thought a toddler could drink out of a sippy cup. What was I thinking?