Thursday, August 28, 2008

Schools In

Tonight I had my first class of the semester. I usually go over the syllabi and all the course requirements. I am not a fan of it. Basically I read most of the syllabus to the students. I KNOW that it is boring, but I do it so they can't come to me later and say "you never said!" in a really whinny voice. Not that they've don't this but I want to avoid it.
I teach a distance ed class and I am broadcast in Sealy and Brenham at the same time I'm live on the Bryan campus.
So I'm rolling, I'm talking, I'm my funny self, and low and behold when I get to the part where I say this is your text book and show it to them- I catch a glimpse of what most of the students are pulling from their backpacks and THEY ARE NOT THE SAME BOOK!!!!! I had a mini major meltdown where I had no words to figure out what to do. I gave the class a break and ran to the bookstore to find out what went wrong.
There ended up a miscommunication not done on our part. As of right now we are still working one it to get it all figured out.
I told the students (I'm a good teacher like that) that life is like this in special education. You take what you can and run with it. You have a mini major meltdown, get over it and think on your feet, figure out a solution, make a modification, and do the best you can and make it work anyway.
Same as what we're doing with in vetro. Making it work. Hopefully by the time you read this we will have gotten our good news from Dr. Roach. It's Friday the Ludlows are in Houston!

No comments: