Friday, September 12, 2008

Reflections on Hysteria

As I sit in my backyard drinking my morning OJ I look at headlines and wonder why?
Apparently according to the Eagle- we are going to die. The news and weather channel confirm it. Along with death destruction and emanate loss of power. So what do the good residents of our town do?
Mass hysteria. Run to Kroger and HEB to buy bread and water. Mind you- we live 150 miles inland from where the hurricane is supposed to hit. Now, I'm not opposed to being prepared. I myself have several buckets and containers for filling up with TAP water if needed. That's right folks all we need is a tap and a bucket. I'll bet even the bathtub would do to hold water in a desperate situation.
I understand that preparedness is needed. I read the passage about having your candles trimmed and ready. But what I absolutely HATE is when hysteria breeds hysteria. I think that the media get some kind of pleasure in saying, " Tornado type winds could possiblly be bearing down on us in the next 36 hours." Possibly? Type winds? 36 hours?!?!!?!?!
Give me a brake. I refuse to get caught up in hysteria. I much prefer laughing at all the folks that fight over Ozarka bottled water when I have a bathtub at home!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I agree with you...especially when you won't get the brunt of the storm. Will your house in galveston be OK?

JNoble said...

Amen, Amen, Amen.

Prepared is a must. Hysteria is stupid. I honestly think it is a case study in what is wrong with the American media and 'instant news' in today's world. I am sure a blog post is coming from my point of view, but this is just amazing. I am surprised we are not still talking about levees in New Orleans with this hurricane. But that is like talking honestly about 9/11 it seems to be too sensitive to be able to truly express my real thoughts in our wonderful 'land of the free'.

Charissa....you hit one of my buttons with this one!

Mindy said...

You crack me up because I am 100% with you. Coming from a Houston born and bread girl here were my preparations
1.pick up Reeses toys from the backyard
2. fill the tub with water(which I had almost forgot until Rusty made fun of me)
3. Move my computer and picture albums out from in front of the window
4. Unplug the tv when I went to bed
This is a reasonable list that everyone in the city needs to follow

Rusty went to Sams to get food for the shelter at the church but that was our big run. All the mass hysteria at the store cracks me up. We just look at it as a day to have a BBQ! Its just too bad my sorority brunch was cancelled since I paid for the invitations and will have to do it again!